Who doesn’t love breakfast foods? I know I do! I eat eggs every single day – most commonly for breakfast – but I’m not opposed to a delicious egg meal for lunch or dinner too. Scrambled egg tacos, quinoa and egg hash, roasted asparagus, eggs and parmesan…OK, I’m getting carried away, but you get the point.
This power bowl here is so full of nutrients, you’ll avoid that hangry, pre-lunch version of yourself that nobody wants to be around. Various studies say that those who eat protein in the morning – instead of sugary breakfast foods – end up eating less throughout the day, and having more sustained energy. Eggs are obviously an excellent source of protein and healthy fats, but I’ve also included hemp seeds in this dish – which contain all of the essential amino acids, making them a complete protein! Hemp seeds also provide a wonderful, vegetarian source of omega 3 fatty acids.
Yay hemp seeds!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- YELLOW AND GREEN ZUCCHINI
- HEMP SEEDS
- OLIVE OIL
- SALT & PEPPER
First things first, you gotta roast those veggies!
- PRE-HEAT YOUR OVEN TO 425 F (220 C)
- CHOP THE VEGGIES TO A SIZE OF YOUR LIKING WHILE YOU WAIT FOR THE OVEN TO HEAT
- WASH AND STRAIN THE CHOPPED VEGGIES
- PUT THE VEGGIES ON A BAKING SHEET
- DRIZZLE OLIVE OIL TO COAT THE VEGGIES
- ADD SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- FOR THE OTHER SPICES, I RECOMMEND ADDING THEM TO YOUR TASTE, BUT IF YOU DON’T OFTEN COOK WITH WARM/EARTHY SPICES, HERE IS WHAT I DID:
2 teaspoons each, cumin and turmeric
(turmeric is an incredible spice that helps to reduce inflammation in the body!)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
The main thing to remember is, that nutmeg just marries the flavors together, you don’t want it to overpower everything.
The amount of spice you use is relative to the amount of veggies you’re roasting, so adjust accordingly!
- USE YOUR HANDS TO COAT THE VEGGIES WITH THE OIL AND SPICES
- EVENLY SPREAD OUT THE VEGGIES
- YOU’LL KNOW THEY’RE ALMOST DONE WHEN YOU START SMELLING THEM!
- TOTAL COOK TIME IS APPROXIMATELY 10 – 15 MINUTES – UNTIL VEGGIES ARE TENDER AND SLIGHTLY BROWNED
- ONCE COOKED, PLACE ROASTED VEGGIES IN A BOWL
Now it’s time to cook your eggs!
- HEAT OIL IN A PAN OVER MEDIUM HEAT – ENOUGH OIL TO COAT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAN.
- FOR OVER-MEDIUM EGGS: CRACK ONE EGG IN THE PAN – ONCE THE EGG WHITE IS WHITE, IT’S READY TO FLIP
- FLIP THE EGG – LET COOK ANOTHER 30 SECONDS TO A MINUTE
- PLACE EGG ON TOP OF YOUR VEGGIES
- REPEAT WITH ANOTHER EGG (you can cook two at once, but the pan will be more crowded, making flipping more challenging)
- SPRINKLE TWO HEALTHY PINCHES OF HEMP SEEDS ON TOP OF YOUR BOWL
- EAT AND ENJOY!
I normally eat this with two eggs, but for the picture’s sake, I used one. I didn’t want to hide the beautiful veggies.
Also, I’m half Mexican – and full spice lover – so, I always add salsa to my breakfast bowls (and nearly everything else I eat).
Salsa is a great addition, as is avocado, cheese, or a small piece of toast for dipping. Really, you can doctor this up any which way you like. Have fun with your food and fuel your body! You’ll feel so good, and a healthy choice in the morning makes for more healthy choices as you move through your day!
Plus it’s delicious!
XOXO ~ Michelle ~