We’ve all been there–had one too many bites at dinner, and now we’re unbuttoning our pants to make room for our bellies. Maybe this leads to heart burn. Maybe not. But either way, we’re uncomfortable. Nobody likes that feeling.
What we eat has a direct impact on how we feel, and how our bodies function. Some foods increase inflammation throughout the entire body–like typical processed junk foods high in salt, sugar, and bad fats. Other foods naturally assist in decreasing systemic inflammation. The more of these anti-inflammatory foods we can eat, the better we will feel, and the more energy we will have!
* Citrus fruits–like lemon–decrease inflammation and help to balance the body’s pH level.
* Ginger has been used as a natural anti-inflammatory agent for centuries. It has been shown to alleviate pain by decreasing inflammation.
* Ginger combats nausea (including morning sickness), and improves absorption of nutrients by stimulating the release of digestive enzymes (which also helps with elimination).
* Ginger and honey are commonly used as natural cold remedies.
* Honey has antimicrobial properties which help to fight infection.
* Honey has been shown to suppress a cough more effectively than over the counter cough medicines.
I make this lemon, ginger, honey tea very regularly–nearly everyday. I love the way it tastes. It feels very soothing, not just for my body, but for my soul. I feel like I’m taking care of myself every time I make it, and the five minutes it takes to drink it are my time to just unplug, unwind, and recharge in an otherwise busy day.
I store my ginger in a plastic bag in the freezer. I just buy a large piece of ginger, wash it well, then cut it up into approximately quarter size pieces, pop them into a freezer bag, and freeze them! I’ll use the ginger for juicing too, and it’s so nice to have it ready to go. If you have the time to peel the ginger, it will prevent the skin from flaking off into your tea once it hits the hot water. I don’t really mind it, but if you do, then peel the ginger first.
* One quarter sized piece of ginger (fresh or frozen)
* One or two slices of lemon
* 1/2 – 1 tablespoon of organic, raw honey. (If my sweet tooth needs some attention I go for the full tablespoon)
* Enough hot water to fill your cup!
I leave the ginger in the cup the whole time I’m drinking it, but I normally just squeeze the lemon juice into the cup and then toss the wedges. There’s no right or wrong way, it’s totally up to you! One requirement is, you must lick the honey spoon!! I know I always do.
Sometimes I’ll just put a bit of honey on a spoon midday to curb a sugar craving. 🙂 If you enjoy honey, I highly recommend this.
There are many, many foods that help to fight inflammation, but this is just one of the everyday things I do!
Do you have any favorite inflammation fighting recipes?
Have an amazing day!